Monday, November 19, 2012

Non-Traditional Thanksgiving Menu



I am not the biggest fan of the Thanksgiving meal. While I love the holiday tradition of Thanksgiving and the inevitable “Turkey Bowl” football game that evolves with family and friends, I just really don’t care for the traditional Thanksgiving fare. The entire meal is brown, orange and white, with a touch of cranberry. No pun intended! There is never anything green on the plate! Call me crazy, but gobs of sticky mashed potatoes, dried turkey, and a handful of bland casseroles just doesn’t do it for me anymore.

I'm over it. 

 I have been thinking about what my ideal Thanksgiving Day meal might be. I would completely be satisfied ordering really good pizza (I know…uncultured swine that I am) but my husband wouldn’t go for it. As someone who enjoys cooking, I thought I could do better than pizza. I came up with the following for an alternative Thanksgiving meal. Click the links for our favorite delicious and fail-proof recipes.

Menu


Pimento cheese sandwiches and shrimp cocktail


Kale salad with dried cranberries, apples and toasted pepitas


Butternut squash risotto topped with crispy pancetta


Steamed haricot vert with brown butter and shaved toasted almonds

This year we are not travelling for the Thanksgiving holiday (thank goodness!!!!) and we are celebrating with just the four of us.  I think I will save myself the hassle and disdain for turkey and stuffing and hopefully head out on the slopes for some Thanksgiving Day skiing!

What will you serve for your Thanksgiving meal this year? Need more inspiration? Don't forget to follow us on Pinterest!


No comments:

Post a Comment